by Larry & Jeanne Starr
July 8, 2006; Jefferson WI – There was a lot of racing tonight, especially in the Late Model and Bandit divisions, both having features held over from last week’s rain out.
In Late Model action Roger Behlke of Jefferson notched his first feature of the 2006 season, in the “Kearns Motor Car Company 50,” held over from last week. Starting inside row 5 Behlke started his journey to the checkers, as Tyler James claimed the early lead. James led the way, through two caution periods, on laps 20 and 21, for spins. The battle for the lead ended in calamity, on lap 23, with a multi-car incident in turn 3. When the smoke cleared it was Behlke leading the field back to the green flag, followed by Steve Dobbratz. Dobbratz kept the pressure on, looking to the inside, but Behlke was up to the challenge. At the stripe it was Behlke for the win followed by Dobbratz, Jasper Gronert, Ken Olson and Tony Koepke.
Curt Thompson of Fort Atkinson claimed top honors, for the first time this season, in the “Miller Lite 50,” Late Model feature. Starting from the inside of row 2, Thompson overtook Nick Wendt, the early leader, on lap 2, showing the way from there to the checkered flag. The race slowed for 3 cautions, for spins on lap 23 and 24, and for a major cleanup, for a blown motor, on lap 40. As they blazed past the finish it was Thompson for the win, followed by Wendt, John Ovadal Jr., Dylan Schuyler and Jason Erickson.
In Sportsman action Scott “Chico” Riedner of Waunakee claimed top honors in the 30 lap main event. Starting outside row 7, Riedner started his drive to the point, as Brent Gergen claimed the early lead. Jay Kalbus overtook Gergen, on lap 9, claiming the point and opening a strong lead, as Riedner fought his way through the field. Riedner made his way to 2nd, on lap 18, with Kalbus nearly a full straightway ahead. Caution came on lap 28, for a spin. During the caution Kalbus left the track with a brake fire, handing the lead to Riedner for the restart. Riedner held off Mike Heelein over the remaining laps. At the stripe it was Riedner for the win, followed by Heelein, Mark DePorter, Eaan Carson and Dave Oswald.
In International action Chris Gottschalk of Jefferson notched his 2nd feature of the season, in the 20 lap main. Starting outside row 2, Gottschalk spent 6 laps overtaking the early leader, Shaun Magsamen. Claiming the point on lap 7, Gottschalk showed the way to the checkers. At the stripe it was Gottschalk for the win followed by Brandon Riedner, Chris Chenoweth, Mike Winters and Scotty Hoeft.
In Hobby Stock action Lincoln Keeser claimed victory in the 20 lap main event. Starting inside row 3, Keeser headed to the front as Steven Sauer grabbed the early lead. Keeser closed with Sauer on lap 3, making the winning pass on lap 4. Pete Elgas moved up to challenge for the top spot, by lap 16. Moving to the inside Elgas pulled even with Keeser but was not, quite, able to make the pass. As they streaked past the finish line it was Keeser for the win followed by Elgas, Kyle Stark, Sauer and Dennis Schmidt.
In Bandit action Kyle Watters of Stoughton notched the win, in the 20 lap, make up, feature. Starting inside row 4, Watters headed to the front as Jody Krueger claimed the early lead. Claiming 2nd by lap 9, Watters closed with Krueger, making his way to the point by lap 12. At the stripe it was Kyle Watters for the win followed by Sean Watters, Krueger, Bobby Selsing and Zak Czeszynski.
Bobby Selsing of Fort Atkinson claimed top honors in the final,20 lap, Bandit feature of the evening. Starting inside row 7, Selsing headed toward the point as Chris Hart moved to the early lead. Hart Surrendered the point, to Rodney Mundt, on the third lap. Mundt, in turn, passed the lead back to Hart on lap 5. As Hart and Mundt battled for the top spot, Selsing made his way to 3rd on lap 8, and blazed past the leaders, to claim the point, on lap 9. Caution came, on lap 17, when a car hit the front stretch wall. Selsing led the restart, pulling away on his way to the checkers. At the stripe it was Selsing for the win followed by Sean Watters, Mundt, Hart and Zak Czeszynski.
Next week Jefferson Speedway presents the Star 96.3 Country night at the races, featuring the “Newville Auto Salvage 50,” Late Model feature, along with a full racing program in all divisions. Capping the night’s activities will be a “Spin-to-Win” race.
Gates open at 3:00, Qualifying at 5:00, and racing at 7:00 Sharp.
Jefferson Speedway is half way between Cambridge and Jefferson Wisconsin, on highway 18. Visit us on the world wide web at www.jeffersonspeedway.com.
Jefferson Speedway Race Summary – 07/01/2006 Independence Day Special
Late Model Division Feature Finish
1) 44 Roger Behlke (Jefferson) 2) 52 Steve Dobbratz
3) 22 Jasper Gronert (Jefferson) 4) 68 Ken Olson (Fort Atkinson)
5) 32 Tony Koepke (Fort Atkinson) 6) 23 Chris Koepke (Jefferson)
7) 12 Allen Petrie Jr (Sun Prairie) 8) 11 Timothy Petrie (Fort Atkinson)
9) 46 Nick Wendt 10) 71 John Ovadal Jr (Watertown)
11) 66 Curt Thompson 12) 18 Andy Wendt
13) 27 Tyler James (Oconomowoc) 14) 16 Luke Westenberg (Watertown)
15) 27 Tom Schuette (Fort Atkinson) 16) 87 Kyle Jarlsberg
17) 94 Jason Erickson 18) 33 Dylan Schuyler (Jefferson)
Bandit Division Feature Finish
1) 7 Kyle Watters (Stoughton) 2) 77 Sean Watters (Sun Prairie)
3) Z28 Jody Krueger (Edgerton) 4) 42 Bobby Selsing
5) 6 Zak Czeszynski (Oconomowoc) 6) 21 Rodney Mundt
Jefferson Speedway Race Summary – 07/08/2006 Miller Lite 50
Late Model Division Feature Finish
1) 66 Curt Thompson 2) 46 Nick Wendt
3) 71 John Ovadal Jr (Watertown) 4) 33 Dylan Schuyler (Jefferson)
5) 94 Jason Erickson 6) 61 Jerry Eckhart (Johnson Creek)
7) 52 Steve Dobbratz 8) 53 Doug Hahn (Whitewater)
9) 87 Kyle Jarlsberg 10) 32 Tony Koepke (Fort Atkinson)
11) 44 Roger Behlke (Jefferson) 12) 12 Allen Petrie Jr (Sun Prairie)
13) 22 Jasper Gronert (Jefferson) 14) 68 Ken Olson (Fort Atkinson)
15) 18 Andy Wendt 16) 16 Luke Westenberg (Watertown)
17) 23 Chris Koepke (Jefferson) 18) 70 Rick Kehoe (Jefferson)
Fast Qualifier: 94 Jason Erickson : 14.392 seconds
Fast Dash: 87 Kyle Jarlsberg
LastChance: 70 Rick Kehoe, 12 Allen Petrie Jr, 32 Tony Koepke, 23 Chris Koepke
Heats: Qual1) 32 Tony Koepke, Qual3) 61 Jerry Eckhart, Qual2) 18 Andy Wendt
International Division Feature Finish
1) 61 Chris Gottschalk (Jefferson) 2) 4D Brandon Riedner (Waunakee)
3) 97 Chris Chenoweth (Watertown) 4) 77 Mike Winters (Sun Prairie)
5) 00 Scotty Hoeft (Watertown) 6) 67 Joe Cross (Sun Prairie)
Fast Qualifier: 4 Mark Joyner (Elkhorn) : 16.830 seconds
Fast Dash: 00 Scotty Hoeft (Watertown)
Heats: Qual1) 61 Chris Gottschalk, qual2) 4D Brandon Riedner
Sportsman Division Feature Finish
1) 26 Scott Riedner (Waunakee) 2) 8 Michael Heelein (Fort Atkinson)
3) 28 Mark DePorter 4) 2 Eaan Carson (Fort Atkinson)
5) 31 David Oswald (Cottage Grove) 6) 41 Tom Reents (Portage)
Fast Qualifier: 26 Scott Riedner (Waunakee) : 15.211 seconds
Fast Dash: 11 Trent Erdman
Heats: Qual1) 8 Shaun Scheel, qual3) 28 Mark DePorter, qual2) 27 Jay Kalbus
Hobby Stock Division Feature Finish
1) 99 Lincoln Keeser (Whitewater) 2) 52 Peter Elgas (Janesville)
3) 92 Kyle Stark (Waterloo) 4) 11 Steven Sauer (Waterloo)
5) 19 Dennis Schmidt 6) 60 Chet Paffel (Newerk Township)
Fast Qualifier: 31 Ken Au (Jefferson) : 16.693 seconds
Fast Dash: 10 Larry Moen (Madison)
LastChance: 1 Levi Cloute, 25 Jim Lampen, 08 Dennis Smith Jr., 41 Nick Newton
Heats: Qual1) 08 Dennis Smith Jr., qual3) 39 Alex Papini, qual2) 7 Scott Carson
Bandit Division Feature Finish
1) 42 Bobby Selsing 2) 77 Sean Watters (Sun Prairie)
3) 21 Rodney Mundt 4) 22 Chris Hart (Edgerton)
5) 6 Zak Czeszynski (Oconomowoc) 6) 86 Ron Nelson (Utica)
Fast Qualifier: 42 Bobby Selsing : 14.510 seconds
Fast Dash: 4 Stephen Scheel (Lake Mills)
LastChance: 31 Michael Heimann, 86 Jeff Ciano, 32 Cody Strese, 7 Dennis Johnson Jr
Heats: Qual1) 89 Chad Olds, qual3) 98 Tom Bleecker, qual2) 25 Darren Brown