By Larry & Jeanne Starr
August 21, 2004; Jefferson, Wis. – Greg Bowers of Waterloo claimed top honors in the “UAW Local 95” 50 lapper. Starting outside row 1 Bowers took the point at the green flag and never looked back, showing the way to the checkered flag. As Bowers built a comfortable lead, the battles raged behind. On lap 46 the battle for 4th ended in the turn 4 wall, bringing out the only caution of the race. Bowers handled the restart, leading the dash to the checkered. At the stripe it was Bowers for the win followed by Jason Thoma, Dan Chesmore, Don Mattrisch and Roger Behlke.
In International action, Paul Kisow of Marshall, drove from a 7th place start to claim victory in the 20 lap feature. At the green flag it was Brian Paulson at the point. Kisow made his way to the 3rd spot, by lap 2, and 2nd, pay lap 3. Closing with Paulson, Kisow made the winning pass on lap 6. As Kisow guided the field to the checkers, Alan Petrie made his way to 2nd, looking for a way past Kisow. Kisow was up to the challenge, crossing the stripe first, followed by Petrie, Steve Allman, Paul Seeber and Brian Paulson.
In Sportsman action Brent Gergen of Jefferson won his first feature, in the 30 lap main event. Starting outside row 1, Gergen grabbed the early lead, guiding the field to the checkers. As Gergen led the way, drivers battled their way forward. Dave Oswald and Kyle Padfield traded the 3rd spot, back and forth over man laps. At the stripe it was Gergen for the win, followed by Craig Henning, Kyle Padfield, Dave Oswald and Curt Thompson.
In Hobby Stock action Larry Moen of Madison won the 20 lap feature. Starting from the pole Moen led every lap on his way to victory. Bryon Grassl moved up to bid for the top spot late in the race, but his challenge was cut short by the caution flag, on lap 18, when a car hit the turn 1 wall. Moen took the checkered flag first followed by Grassl, Brett Carson, Pete Elgas and Jim Tate.
In Bandit action Bobby Selsing of Fort Atkinson claimed top honors in the 18 lap feature. Starting 9th Selsing headed toward the front as Nick Klettke claimed the early lead. Klettke’s was relieved a the point, by Tom Bleeker, on lap 3. Once in the lead Bleeker built a good lead. Selsing claimed the 2nd spot on lap 13 looking far ahead to Bleeker. Closing with Bleeker, Selsing motored to the front on lap 17. At the stripe it was Selsing for the win, followed by Bleeker, Mike Winters, Bill Sweeney and Nick Klettke.
The action continues next week as Jefferson Speedway hosts the “Home & Barn Improvements 50,” featuring a 50 lap Late Model feature and a full raing program, in all 5 divisions. Rounding out the night’s racing action is the “Great American Bartenders Race.”
The Gates open at 2:00, qualifying starts at 4:30 and racing commences at 7:00 sharp.
Jefferson Speedway is half way between Jefferson and Cambridge Wisconsin, on Highway 18.
Jefferson Speedway – Date: August 21, 2004 – Event: UAW Local 95 Night at the Races
Late Model Feature Finish: Laps: 50
1. 13 Greg Bowers (Waterloo) 10. 87 Kyle Jarlsberg (Cambridge)
2. 4 Jason Thoma (Jefferson) 11. 6 Ken Piotrowski (Janesville)
3. 27 Dan Chesmore (Janesville) 12. 71 Tim Noble (Janesville)
4. 56 Don Mattrisch (Ft. Atkinson) 13. 71 John Ovadal (Watertown)
5. 44 Roger Behlke (Jefferson) 14. 1 Gary Krueger (Edgerton)
6. 52 Steve Dobbratz (Rio) 15. 99 Doug Hahn (Whitewater)
7. 11 Beau Sanden (Janesville) 16. 25 Randy Cusick (Ft. Atkinson)
8. 33 Dylan Schuyler (Dousman) 17. 59 Paul Edmundson (Whitewater)
9. 82 Chad “Squirt” Stevens (Orfordville) 18. 41 Mike Taylor (Stoughton)
FAST QUALIFIER : 52 Steve Dobbratz (Rio): 14.597 seconds
FAST DASH: 8 Lap : 1 Gary Krueger (Edgerton)
LAST CHANCE: 20 Lap : 87 Kyle Jarlsberg, 27 Dan Chesmore, 82 Chad Stevens, 41 Mike Taylor, 59 Paul Edmundson, 6 Ken Piotrowski
Heats: 10 lap: 1) 76 Ron Bishofberger (Ft. Atkinson) 2) 87 Kyle Jarlsberg (Cambridge) 3) 33 Dylan Schuyler (Dousman)
International Feature: Laps: 20
1. 00 Paul Kisow (Marshall) 4. 70 Paul Seeber (Watertown)
2. 12 Alan Petrie (Sun Prairie) 5. 41 Brian Paulson (Edgerton)
3. 70 Steve Allman (Oconomowoc) 6. 67 Joe Cross (Sun Prairie)
FAST QUALIFIER : 79 Steve Allman (Oconomowoc): 16.923 second
Heats: 10 lap: 1) 57 Tim Seitz (Edgerton)
Sportsman Feature: Laps: 30
1. 38 Brent Gergen (Jefferson) 4. 31 Dave Oswald (Cottage Grove)
2. 94 Craig Henning (Hellenville) 5. 3 Curt Thompson (Ft. Atkinson)
3. 2 Kyle Padfield (Stoughton) 6. 42 Tom Reents (Janesville)
FAST QUALIFIER : 11 Trent Erdman (Ft. Atkinson): 15.430 seconds
LAST CHANCE: 15 Lap : 4D Brandon Riedner, 57 Mark English, 30 Kyle Munro, 47 Mark Miller
Heats: 10 lap: 1) 47 Mark Miller (Columbus) 2) 57 Mark English (Janesville) 3) 7 Jody Purdy (Milton)
Hobby Stock Feature: Laps: 20
1. 10 Larry Moen (Madison) 4. 52 Pete Elgas (Janesville)
2. 38 Bryon Grassl (Janesville) 5. 27 Jim Tate Jr. (Watertown)
3. 94 Brett Carson (Johnson Creek) 6. 55 Terry Wangsness (Delavan)
FAST QUALIFIER : 31 Ken Au (Jefferson): 16.630 seconds
LAST CHANCE: 12 Lap : 99 Lincoln Keeser, 41 Nick Newton, 7 Scott Carson, 49 Buck Stultz
Heats: 8 lap: 1) 56 Randy Strasburg (Jefferson) 2) 55 Terry Wangsness (Delavan) 3) 94 Brett Carson (Johnson Creek)
Bandit Feature: Laps: 18
1. 42 Bobby Selsing (Ft. Atkinson) 4. 42 Bill Sweeney (Janesville)
2. 98 Tom Bleeker (Watertown) 5. 18 Nick Klettke (Ft. Atkinson)
3. 12 Mike Winters (Sun Prairie) 6. 27 Tom Schuette (Sullivan)
FAST QUALIFIER : 42 Bill Sweeney (Janesville): 14.742 seconds
CONSI: 8 Lap: 15 Keith Bell, 22 Michael Hart
LAST CHANCE: 12 Lap : 6 Zak Czeszynski, 24 Tyler White, 3 Rory Padfield, 20 Dale Warner
Heats: 8 lap: 1) llll22 Michael Hart (Edgerton) 2) 85 Matt Lorenz (West Allis) 3) 86 Mike Bretl (Ft. Atkinson) 4) 21 Dan Gosda (Sun Prairie)