By Larry Starr
May 21, 2005; Jefferson, Wis. – Erik Darnell of Beach Park IL claimed top honors in the Wisconsin Challenge Series, Super Late Model, “Star Packaging 100.” Starting 7th Darnell stayed near the front for the entire race. Frank Kreyer claimed the lead at the green flag, holding the point for 6 laps, before he was overtaken by Kevin Tunks.
Tunks pulled ahead as Darnell battled through traffic. Tunks led most of the race, holding nearly a half lap lead at one point. On the restart, following the 5th caution of the race, on lap 83, Tunks dropped from the field, leaving the top spot to Darnell.
As Darnell led the way to the checkered flag, Nathan Haseleu kept the pressure on, working the inside, lap after lap. At the finish it was Darnell, by a fender over Haseleu. Followed by Jeremy Lepak, Ken Reiser and Brian Johnson Jr. Tunks night had ended due to a failure of his Oil Pump belt.
The race was slowed by 8 caution flags, on laps 10, 21, 25, 27, 83, 85 and 90.
Also on hand were Jefferson Speedway’s own Sportsman, International, Hobby Stock and Bandit divisions.
In Sportsman division action Steve Seales of Janesville notched the win, in the 30 lap main event. Starting 4th, Seals watch Tom Rents claim the early lead. Seals made his way to the 2nd spot, by lap 5, closing the gap with Rents. Caution came on lap 6, for a spinning car, closing the field for a restart. Seales worked the inside of Rents, finding his way to the front on lap 10.
Curt Thompson made his way to the 2nd spot, by lap 13, closing with Seals and making his bid for the lead. Seals proved up tot he challenge, holding off Thompson all the way to the checkers. At the stripe it was Seals for the win, followed by Thompson, Trent Erdman, Scott “Chico” Riedner and Terry Wangsness.
In International action Mark English of Edgerton claimed top honors in the 15 lap feature. Starting 7th, English began his trek to the checkers, as Scotty Hoeft jumped to the early lead. English claimed the 2nd spot on lap 6, closing with Hoeft. Making the winning pass, on lap 8, English showed the way from there to the checkers. At the stripe it was English followed by Chris Nelson, Hoeft, mark Joyner and Mike Winters.
In Hobby Stock action Eaan Carson led the field flag-to-flag, claiming victory in the 20 lap feature. Starting from the pole, Carson took the early lead and never looked back. At the finish it was Carson followed by Larry Moen, Jim Williams, Ken Au and Pete Elgas.
Shaun Scheel, of Johnson Creek, won the Bandit feature. Starting from the pole, Scheel took the lead at the green flag, guiding the field to the checkers. At the finish it was Scheel for the win, followed by Brandon Riedner, Tom Bleecker, Allen Petrie Jr and Tyler White.
Next week the action continues at Jefferson Speedway with the “Star Packaging 50,” 50 lap Late Model feature, and a full racing program in all divisions.
Gates open at 2:00PM, qualifying starts at 4:30PM and racing starts at 7:00PM.
Jefferson Speedway is half way between Cambridge and Jefferson Wisconsin, on Highway 18.
Wisconsin Challenge Division Feature Finish
1) 23 Erik Darnell (Beach Park Il) 2) 87 Nathan Haseleu (Marshall)
3) 40 Jeremy Lepak (Wausau) 4) 2 Ken Reiser (Waukon, IA)
5) 38 Brian Johnson Jr. (Roscoe, IL) 6) 9 Kenny Richards (Montello)
7) 75 Chris Weinkauf (Merrill) 8) 44 John Zimmerman (Markesan)
9) 41 Van Terry Roy (Appleton) 10) 96 Terry Baldry (Omro)
11) 22 M Gajewski.G. (Wausau) 12) 17 Charlie Menard (EauClaire)
13) 89 Adam Royale (Farmington, MN) 14) 25 Dexter Bean (Westby)
15) 1 Kevin Tunks (Edgerton) 16) 3 Jeff Weinfurter (Wisconsin Rapi
17) 76 Jason Weinkauf (Merrill) 18) 97 Jimmy Jarlsberg (Cambridge)
19) 99 Frank Kreyer (Pardeeville) 20) 5 Jim Sauter (Tomah)
21) 94 Jason Erickson (Cambridge) 22) 21 Ryan Mathews
23) 37 Jason Schuler (Cambridge)
Fast Qualifier: 87 Nathan Haseleu (Marshall) : 13.465 seconds
Heats: Qual1) 94 Jason Erickson, Qual2) 89 Adam Royale
International Division Feature Finish
1) 57 Mark English 2) 73 Chris Nelson (Cottage Grove)
3) 00 Scotty Hoeft (Watertown) 4) 4 Mark Joyner (Palmyra)
5) 12 Mike Winters (Sun Prairie) 6) 2 Brandon Kozak (Whitewater)
Fast Qualifier: 73 Chris Nelson (Cottage Grove) : 16.625 seconds
Heats: Dash) 57 Mark English, Qual1) 4 Mark Joyner
Sportsman Division Feature Finish
1) 36 Steve Seales (Janesville) 2) 3 Curt Thompson (Fort Atkinson)
3) 11 Trent Erdman (Fort Atkinson) 4) 26 Scott Riedner (Waunakee)
5) 55 Terry Wangsness (Delavan) 6) 28 Mark DePorter (Fort Atkinson)
Fast Qualifier: 42 Jason Thoma (New Track Record) : 15.060 seconds
Heats: Dash) 3 Curt Thompson, Qual1) 42 Tom Rents, qual2) 38 Brent Gergen
Hobby Stock Division Feature Finish
1) 2 Eaan Carson 2) 10 Larry Moen (Madison)
3) J10 Jim Williams (Milton) 4) 31 Ken Au (Jefferson)
5) 52 Pete Elgas (Janesville) 6) 19 Dennis Schmidt (Johnson Creek)
Fast Qualifier: 31 Ken Au (Jefferson) : 16.632 seconds
Last Chance: 25 Jim Lampen, 56 Randy Strasburg, 21 Dan Gosda, 94.1 Mike Storkson
Heats: Dash) 99 Johnny Robinson, Qual1) 2 Eaan Carson, qual2) 50 Jim Schmidt
Bandit Division Feature Finish
1) 8 Shaun Scheel (Johnson Creek) 2) 4D Brandon Riedner (Waunakee)
3) 98 Tom Bleecker (Watertown) 4) 10 Allen Petrie Jr. (Sun Prairie)
5) 24 Tyler White (Ft. Atkinson) 6) 42 Bobby Selsing Jr (Fort Atkinso
Fast Qualifier: 42 Bobby Selsing Jr (Fort Atkinson) : 15.778 seconds
Last Chance: 9 Kevin Weaver, 21 Rodney Mundt, 24 Tyler White, 45 Nick Balis
Heats: Dash) 92 Andy Bauler, Qual1) 98 Tom Bleecker, qual2) 8 Shaun Scheel