By Larry & Jeanne Starr
May 31, 2003; Jefferson, Wis. – Jasper Gronert, a second generation driver from Jefferson, claimed the first Late Model feature win of his racing career, in the 35 lap “WSLD Night at the Races,” Late Model feature.
Starting from the outside of row 1, Gronert moved to the early lead and never looked back. As Gronert guided the way to the checkered flag, Andy Wendt made his way from an 11th place start to the 8th spot, by 18. Disaster struck, on lap 19, as the battle for 5th resulted in a 5 car crash. Gronert led the restart, with Wendt up to 5th. Wendt moved under Kyle Jarlsberg, for 2nd, on lap 27, closing with Gronert. Holding off Wendt’s challenge, it was Gronert for the win, followed by Wendt, Jarlsberg, Luke Westenberg and Chad “Squirt” Stevens.
In International action Jimmy Pankow of Oregon came from a 6th place start, to claim victory in the 20 lap main event. At the green flag Chris Chenoweth claimed the lead, guiding the way for 7 laps, before surrendering the point to Pankow. Claiming the top spot, on lap 8, Pankow showed the way to the checkered, followed by Scotty Hoeft, Chris Quam, Mike Bingham and Chenoweth.
In Sportsman division action, Bobby Stough Jr. of Waunakee notched the top finishing spot, in the 30 lap main event. Starting on the outside of row 4 Stough headed toward the point, as Kyle Taylor drove to the early lead. Taylor guided the way for 19 laps, as Stough battled his way to the 2nd spot. Claiming 2nd, on lap 12, Stough closed with Taylor, launching his bid for the lead. Taylor held off Stough for 11 laps, before surrendering the point. As they streaked past the checkered flag it was Stough for the win, followed by Mark Deporter, Dave Oswald, Trent Erdman and Dustin Ward.
In Hobby Stock action, Rodger Stephenson of Cambridge claimed victory in the 20 lap feature. Starting from the outside of row 1, Stephenson jumped to the early lead and never looked back, guiding the field to the checkered flag. At the finish it was Stephenson, followed by Rick Kehoe, Lincoln Keeser, Chuck Egli and Jim Tate.
Next week Jefferson Speedway hosts the “Miller Lite Twin 35’s,” with two, 35 lap, Late Model Features, plus a full racing program, in all divisions, including the Bandits.
Gates open at 3:00, qualifying at 5:00 and racing at 7:00 sharp.
Coming Saturday, June 14, is the “Papa Murphy’s Take N’ Bake Pizza 50,” conclusion to the Summer Rumble. This program begins Friday, June 13 at Columbus 151 Speedway, with overall finishing bonuses paid to the top 14 overall finishers, in the Late Model, Sportsman, Hobby Stock and Bandit divisions.
Jefferson Speedway is on highway 18, half way between Cambridge and Jefferson Wisconsin.
Jefferson Speedway – Date: May 31, 2003 – Event: WSLD Night at the Races & Reverse Bubble Race
Late Model Feature Finish: Laps: 35
1. 22 Jasper Gronert (Jefferson) 10. 41 Mike Taylor (Stoughton)
2. 18 Andy Wendt (Watertown) 11. 2 Matt Frey (Cambridge)
3. 87 Kyle Jarlsberg (Cambridge) 12. 13 Ed Wolff III (Clyman)
4. 16 Luke Westenberg (Watertown) 13. 79 Brent Knight (Watertown)
5. 82 Chad “Squirt” Stevens (Orfordville) 14. 100 Curt Thompson (Ft. Atkinson)
6. 4 Randy Breunig (Columbus) 15. 14 Scott Nottestad (Stoughton)
7. 71 John Ovadal Jr. (Watertown) 16. 11 Beau Sanden (Janesville)
8. 52 Steve Dobbratz (Rio) 17. 76 Ron Bishofberger (Ft. Atkinson)
9. 33 Dylan Schuyler (Dousman) 18. 94 Nick Wendt (Watertown)
FAST QUALIFIER : 71 John Ovadal Jr. (Watertown): 14.823 seconds
FAST DASH: 8 Lap (Hot Race Products) : 100 Curt Thompson (Ft. Atkinson)
LAST CHANCE: 20 Lap : 6 Ken Piotrowski (Janesville), 79 Brent Knight (Watertown), 2 Matt Frey (Cambridge), 41 Mike Taylor (Stoughton)
Heats: 10 lap: 1) 13 Shane Radtke (Watertown) 2) 41 Mike Taylor (Stoughton) 3) 88 Jim Gleesing (Whitewater)
International Feature: Laps: 20
1. 16 Jimmy Pankow (Oregon) 4. 17 Mike Bingham (Milton)
2. 00 Scotty Hoeft (Watertown) 5. 97 Chris Chenoweth (Watertown)
3. 4 Chris Quam (Stoughton) 6. 0 Scott Dolphin (Marshall)
FAST QUALIFIER : 4 Chris Quam (Stoughton): 15.870 seconds
Heats: 10 lap: 1) 17 Mike Bingham (Milton) 2) 84 Steve Drays (Milton)
Sportsman Feature: Laps: 30
1. 48 Bobby Stough Jr. (Waunakee) 4. 11 Trent Erdman (Ft. Atkinson)
2. 28 Mark Deporter (Ft. Atkinson) 5. 9 Dustin Ward (Beaver Dam)
3. 3 Dave Oswald (Cottage Grove) 6. 55 Carey Hensel (Stoughton)
FAST QUALIFIER : 19 Chad Reimer (Oconomowoc): 15.720 seconds
CONSI: 10 Lap : 22 Tony Chase (Columbus), 36 R.C. Coppernoll (Madison)
LAST CHANCE: 15 Lap : 23 Chris Koepke (Ft. Atkinson), 4 Luke Padfield (Jefferson), 19 Dan Schmidt (Watertown), 39 Ryan Goldade (Stoughton)
Heats: 10 lap: 1) 57 Mark English (Janesville) 2) 17 Noel Ramge (Hellenville) 3) 55 Carey Hensel (Stoughton)
4) 20 Bret Schmidt (Watertown)
Hobby Stock Feature: Laps: 20
1. 88 Rodger Stephenson (Cambridge) 4. 22 Chuck Egli (Waterloo)
2. 70 Rick Kehoe (Ft. Atkinson) 5. 27 Jim Tate (Watertown)
3. 99 Lincoln Keeser (Johnson Creek) 6. 55 Terry Wangsness (Delavan)
FAST QUALIFIER : 6 Jeremy Hartwig (Cottage Grove): 16.809 seconds
CONSI: 8 Lap : 99 Lincoln Keeser (Johnson Creek), 26 Faye Riedner (Waunakee)
LAST CHANCE: 12 Lap : 89 Garrett Goth (Cottage Grove), 8 Chris Schoonover (Janesville), 52 Pete Elgas (Janesville), 33 Jimmy Robinson (Orfordville)
Heats: 8 lap: 1) 99 Lincoln Keeser (Johnson Creek) 2) 89 Garrett Goth (Cottage Grove) 3) 22 Chuck Egli (Waterloo) 4) 33 Jimmy Robinson (Orfordville)