Mattrisch and Petrie First Time Winners at Jefferson Speedway!
By Larry & Jeanne Starr
August 7, 2004; Jefferson, Wis. – Don Mattrisch of Ft. Atkinson claimed the first feature win, of his Late Model racing career, in the “Good Karma Cup 50.”
Starting from the pole, Mattrisch claimed the early lead and never looked back, guiding the field to the checkered flag. Mattrisch was well ahead of the melee, on the back stretch on lap 13, when the battle for 6th triggered a 7 car pileup. Pulling ahead at the restart, Mattrisch continued his quest for the checkered flag, pulling away from the field. At the finish it was Mattrisch for the win, followed by Dylan Schuyler, Jason Thoma, Steve Dobbratz and Chad “Squirt” Stevens.
In International division action Alan Petrie Jr. of Sun Prairie made his first trip to Victory Lane, following his win, in the 20 lap main event. Starting inside row 3, Petrie headed toward the point as Bob Taylor pulled to the early lead. Petrie made his way to the 2nd spot by lap 3, closing with Taylor. Moving under Taylor, Petrie made the winning pass on lap 6. At the stripe it was Petrie for the win, followed by Scotty Hoeft, Tim Petrie, Tim Seitz and Tory Adams.
In Sportsman division action Luke Padfield of Jefferson won the, 30 lap, main event. Starting 8th, Padfield began his battle to the front, as Mike Heelein claimed the early lead. Heelein held the point for a single lap, before surrendering it to Brent Gergen. Padfield moved under Heelein, in his bid for 2nd, on lap 13, claiming the spot on lap 15. Closing with Gergen, Padfield motored to the lead on lap 19. As they flew past the checkers it was Padfield in front, followed by Bret Schmidt, Trent Erdman, Gergen and Mark Deporter.
In Hobby Stock action Jefferson’s Rick Kehoe claimed top honors in the 20 lap feature. Starting outside row 1, Kehoe claimed the lead at the green flag, showing the way to the checkered. At the line it was Kehoe for the win, followed by Pete Elgas, Johnny Robinson, Russ Nicholson and Dennis Schmidt.
In Bandit action John Remsik of Watertown bested the field, in the 18 lap feature. Starting 14th Remsik headed to the front as Kevin Weaver took the early lead. Weaver held the point for 7 laps, before losing it to Tom Bleeker. Bleekers’ turn at the point lasted another 7 laps, while Remsik made his way through traffic. Making his way to 2nd by lap 12, Remsik claimed the top spot on lap 15. At the stripe it was Remsik for the win, followed by Bleeker, Rory Padfield, Dan Gosda and Paula Seitz.
Next week Jefferson Speedway hosts the “WFAW Radio Winner’s Circle Challenge”. These, special events, races are open to all Feature winners, since last year’s “Winner’s Circle Challenge” as will as the Driver’s highest in points, who have not won a feature, and the Fastest Qualifiers, who have not won a feature. This season the “Winner’s Circle Challenge” will be run for all five divisions. These will run along with a full racing program, in all five divisions.
The Gates open at 3:00PM, qualifying starts at 4:30PM and racing commences at 7:00PM sharp.
Jefferson Speedway is half way between Cambridge and Jefferson Wisconsin, on Highway 18.
Jefferson Speedway – Date: August 7, 2004 – Event: Good Karma Cup 50
Late Model Feature Finish: Laps: 50
1. 56 Don Mattrisch (Ft. Atkinson) 11. 41 Mike Taylor (Stoughton)
2. 33 Dylan Schuyler (Dousman) 12. 37 Nick Berge (Janesville)
3. 4 Jason Thoma (Jefferson) 13. 66 Curt Thompson (Ft. Atkinson)
4. 52 Steve Dobbratz (Rio) 14. 4 Chris Quam (Stoughton)
5. 82 Chad “Squirt” Stevens (Orfordville) 15. 27 Dan Chesmore (Janesville)
6. 99 Doug Hahn (Whitewater) 16. 19 Randy Breunig (Columbus)
7. 76 Ron Bishofberger (Ft. Atkinson) 17. 71 Tim Noble (Janesville)
8. 11 Beau Sanden (Janesville) 18. 1 Bruce Lee (Edgerton)
9. 94 John Ovadal Jr. (Watertown) 19. 44 Roger Behlke (Jefferson)
10. 11 Russ Goodwin (Beloit) 20. 68 Ken Olson (Ft. Atkinson)
FAST QUALIFIER : 71 Tim Noble (Janesville): 14.453 seconds
FAST DASH: 8 Lap : 44 Roger Behlke (Jefferson)
LAST CHANCE: 20 Lap : 41 Mike Taylor, 37 Nick Berge, 11 Russ Goodwin, 4 Chris Quam, 66 Curt Thompson, 94 John Ovadal Jr.
Heats: 10 lap: 1) 6 Ken Piotrowski (Janesville) 2) 94 John Ovadal Jr. (Watertown) 3) 11 Beau Sanden (Janesville)
International Feature: Laps: 20
1. 12 Alan Petrie Jr. (Sun Prairie) 4. 57 Tim Seitz (Edgerton)
2. 00 Scotty Hoeft (Watertown) 5. 49 Tory Adams (Madison)
3. 11 Tim Petrie (Whitewater) 6. 99 Keryn Hopwood (Madison)
FAST QUALIFIER : 00Scotty Hoeft (Watertown): 16.658 seconds
FAST DASH: 6 Lap : 12 Alan Petrie Jr. (Sun Prairie)
Heats: 10 lap: 1) 00 Scotty Hoeft (Watertown)
Sportsman Feature: Laps: 30
1. 4 Luke Padfield (Jefferson) 4. 38 Brent Gergen (Jefferson)
2. 20 Bret Schmidt (Watertown) 5. 28 Mark Deporter (Ft. Atkinson)
3. 11 Trent Erdman (Ft. Atkinson) 6. 8 Mike Heelein (Whitewater)
FAST QUALIFIER : 17 Noel Ramge (Hellenville): 15.320 seconds (New Track Record)
FAST DASH: 6 Lap : 42 Tom Reents (Janesville)
LAST CHANCE: 15 Lap : 47 Mark Miller, 4D Brandon Riedner, 53 Rick Rothwell, 20 Rikki Bishofberger
Heats: 10 lap: 1) 47 Mar k Miller (Columbus) 2) 4 Luke Padfield (Jefferson) 3) 57 Mark English (Janesville)
Hobby Stock Feature: Laps: 20
1. 70 Rick Kehoe (Jefferson) 4. 67 Russ Nicholson (Stoughton)
2. 52 Pete Elgas (Janesville) 5. 19 Dennis Schmidt (Watertown)
3. 99 Johnny Robinson (Orfordville) 6. 55 Terry Wangsness (Delavan)
FAST QUALIFIER : 55 Terry Wangsness (Delavan): 16.379 seconds (New Track Record)
FAST DASH: 6 Lap : 31 Ken Au (Jefferson)
LAST CHANCE: 12 Lap : 10 Larry Moen, 08 Dennis Smith, 10 Vincent Darr, 37 Chris Jackson
Heats: 8 lap: 1) 9 Bill Emmons (Jefferson) 2) 94 Bret Carson (Johnson Creek) 3) 10 Larry Moen (Madison)
Bandit Feature: Laps: 18
1. 98 John Remsik (Watertown) 4. 21 Dan Gosda (Sun Prairie)
2. 98 Tom Bleeker (Watertown) 5. 75 Paula Seitz (Edgerton)
3. 3 Rory Padfield (Stoughton) 6. 27 Tom Schuette (Sullivan)
FAST QUALIFIER : 21 Dan Gosda (Sun Prairie): 14.920 seconds
FAST DASH: 5 Lap : Z/28 Jody Krueger (Edgerton)
CONSI: 8 Lap : 85 Matt Lorenz, 11 Andy Bauler
LAST CHANCE: 12 Lap : 98 John Remsik, 45 Nick Balis, 8 Zeke Bishofberger, 02 Brandon Kozak, 92 Kyle Stark
Heats: 8 lap: 1) 7 Kyle Watters (Sun Prairie) 2) 98 John Remsik (Watertown) 3) 92 Kyle Stark (Waterloo) 4) 42 Bobby Selsing (Ft. Atkinson)