By Larry & Jeanne Starr
September 1, 2007; Jefferson WI — Defending track Champion, John Ovadal Jr. of Watertown claimed victory in the first, of two, “Petrie Family twin 35’s” Late Model features. Starting outside row 5 Ovadal headed to the front as Tom Schuette grabbed the early lead.
Caution came, for debris on the track, on lap 4, with Ovadal up to the 4th spot. On the restart Ovadal motored under Chris Quam for 3rd, and moved to the inside of Jason Deppe in his bid for 2nd. Claiming 2nd on lap 5, Ovadal closed with Schuette making his bid for the top spot. After a 4 lap battle, Ovadal motored to the point, guiding the field to the checkered flag. At the stripe it was Ovadal for the win followed by Doug Hahn, Schuette, Steve Dobbratz and Noel Ramge.
Doug Hahn, of Whitewater, claimed the win, in the second feature. Starting 10th in the field, Hahn headed toward the front as Mark Miller claimed the early lead. Miller surrendered the point to Curt Thompson on lap 2. Caution came on lap 18, when 2 cars tangled in turn 2. It took 2 tries to get the race under way, with the first 2 restarts not completing a full lap. The final, lap 18, restart saw Thompson leading the way and Hahn up to the 4th spot. The field slowed again, on lap 19, for a multi-car pile up, with no change in positions up front. On the restart Noel Ramge moved under Mark Miller for the 2nd spot and closed with Thompson, as Hahn brought up a close 3rd. Ramge claimed the point on lap 23, with Hahn close behind in 2nd. Moving under Ramge, Hahn took the point on lap 25, showing the way from there to the checkers. At the finish it was Hahn for the win followed by Ramge, Thompson, Steve Dobbratz and Miller.
Hahn had the best overall finish, with a 2nd place in the first feature, and a win in the 2nd.
In Sportsman action Tom Reents of Janesville claimed top honors in the 30 lap main event. Starting outside row 5, Reents headed toward the point as John Handeland claimed the early lead. Handeland led the way for 24 laps, as Reents worked his way to the front. Caution came, twice, on lap 5, the first time for a spin in turn 3 and the 2nd for a crash, off turn 2, on the restart. The crash ended the night for Scott “Chico” Riedner, the current point leader. Handeland led the restart with Reents up to the 5th spot. Reents made his way to 2nd on lap 17, closing with Handeland. The final caution came, on lap 21, for fluid on the track, that collected several cars, including the 2nd in points Dave Oswald. On the restart Reents looked to the inside of Handeland, battling for 4 laps before edging to the front, on lap 25. As they flew past the checkers it was Reents for the win followed by Handeland, B.J. Erickson, Brady Lilly and Jay Kalbus.
In International action Mark English of Janesville notched the win, in the 20 lap feature. Starting inside row 6, English started his drive to the checkers as Rodney Mundt took the early lead. Mundt led the way, for 9 laps, before surrendering the point to Casey Strese. Caution came on lap 16, when a car hit the turn 1 wall. Strese led the restart with Kyle Riedner 2nd, and English up to the 5th spot. Riedner motored past Strese to lead lap 17, with English coming up fast. Motoring under Riedner on lap 18, English claimed the top spot. At the stripe it was English for the win followed by Mundt, Chris Gottschalk, Mike Bingham and Joe Cross.
In Hobby Stock action Jim Tate Jr. of Watertown won the 25 lap main event. Starting inside row 6 Tate headed toward the front as Roger Stephenson claimed the early lead. Caution came on lap 4, when a pair of cars tangled. Stephenson led the restart with Tate up to the 7th spot. Tate made his way to the 3rd spot, by lap 10. Moving under Alan Dorn, for 2nd, on lap 13, Tate closed with Stephenson. After a 3 lap battle Tate pulled ahead of Stephenson. At the finish it was Tate followed by Stephenson, Kyle Stark, Dorn and Pete Elgas.
In Bandit action Gary Stark of Waunakee notched another win, in the 20 lap feature. Starting outside row 7, Stark started his drive to the front as David Schmidt grabbed the early lead. Schmidt led the way for 11 laps, as Stark worked his way through traffic. Caution came on lap 9, for a spin in turn 4. Schmidt led the restart with Stark up to the 6th spot. Running the outside, Stark made it to 3rd on lap 10, 2nd on lap 11 and the lead on lap 12. At the finish it was Stark for the win followed by Kenny Christenson, Schmidt, Tom Pfeifer and Jeffery Lefave.
Next week the 2007 Championship Points chase concludes, with the “Original Havill-Spoerl Ford, Lincoln and Mercury, of Fort Atkinson, Season Championships” featuring a 50 Lap Late Model feature and extended features in all divisions. Champions will be crowned in all 5 divisions.
Gates open at 3:00PM, Qualifying starts at 5:00PM and the first race gets underway at 7:00PM sharp.
Jefferson Speedway is half way between Cambridge and Jefferson Wisconsin, in Highway 18. Visit us on the World Wide Web at “www.jeffersonspeedway.com”.
Click Here for Complete RACESTAT results
Jefferson Speedway Race Summary – 09/01/2007 Petrie 2nd feature
Late Model Division Feature 1 Finish
1) 71 John Ovadal (Watertown) 2) 99 Doug Hahn (Whitewater)
3) 27 Tom Schuette (Fort Atkinson) 4) 52 Steve Dobbratz (Rio)
5) 104 Noel Ramge 6) 44 Roger Behlke (Jefferson)
7) 33 Dylan Schuyler (Jefferson) 8) 7 Bob Kahler (Belvidere IL)
9) 71 Jason Deppe (Waterloo) 10) 4 Chris Quam (Stoughton)
11) 66 Curt Thompson (Fort Atkinson) 12) 24 Mark Miller (Columbus)
13) 61 Jerry Eckhart (Watertown) 14) 5 Casey Johnson (Stoughton)
15) 22 Jasper Gronert (Ft. Atkinson) 16) 12 Allen Petrie Jr. (Sun Prairie)
17) 11 Tim Petrie (Fort Atkinson) 18) 19 Michael Kerushki
Late Model Division Feature 2 Finish
1) 99 Doug Hahn (Whitewater) 2) 104 Noel Ramge
3) 66 Curt Thompson (Fort Atkinson) 4) 52 Steve Dobbratz (Rio)
5) 24 Mark Miller (Columbus) 6) 4 Chris Quam (Stoughton)
7) 33 Dylan Schuyler (Jefferson) 8) 61 Jerry Eckhart (Watertown)
9) 11 Tim Petrie (Fort Atkinson) 10) 22 Jasper Gronert (Ft. Atkinson)
11) 12 Allen Petrie Jr. (Sun Prairie) 12) 5 Casey Johnson (Stoughton)
13) 19 Michael Kerushki 14) 7 Ed Kubicz (Whitewater)
15) 71 Jason Deppe (Waterloo) 16) 71 John Ovadal (Watertown)
17) 44 Roger Behlke (Jefferson) 18) 27 Tom Schuette (Fort Atkinson)
Iron Man Finish
1) 99 Doug Hahn (Whitewater) 2) 79 Justin Schultz (Rio)
3) 52 Steve Dobbratz (Rio) 4) 4 Chris Quam (Stoughton)
5) 33 Dylan Schuyler (Jefferson) 6) 44 Roger Behlke (Jefferson)
7) 11 Tim Petrie (Fort Atkinson) 8) 71 Jason Deppe (Waterloo)
Fast Qualifier: 52 Steve Dobbratz (Rio) : 14.293 seconds
Fast Dash: 71 John Ovadal (Watertown)
Consi: 1 Jody Krueger, 85 Joe Rusciano
LastChance: 19 Michael Kerushki, 12 Allen Petrie Jr., 11 Tim Petrie, 61 Jerry Eckhart
Heats: Qual1) 44 Nick Beinlah, qual2) 61 Jerry Eckhart, qual3) 104 Noel Ramge, qual4) 4 Chris Quam
International Division Feature Finish
1) 57 Mark English (Janesville) 2) 21 Rodney Mundt (Lake Mills)
3) 61 Chris Gottschalk (Jeffferson) 4) 17 Mike Bingham (Milton)
5) 67 Joe Cross (Sun Prairie) 6) 31 Ken Au (Jefferson)
Iron Man Finish
1) 21 Rodney Mundt (Lake Mills) 2) 05 Ashley Smith (Lake Mills)
3) 61 Chris Gottschalk (Jeffferson) 4) 31 Ken Au (Jefferson)
5) 90 Kyle Smith (Lake Mills) 6) 23 Casey Strese (Watertown)
Fast Qualifier: 57 Mark English (Janesville) : 16.837 seconds
Fast Dash: 90 Kyle Smith (Lake Mills)
Heats: Qual1) 57 Pete Seitz, qual2) 1 Kyle Riedner
Sportsman Division Feature Finish
1) 42 Tom Reents (Janesville) 2) 19 John Handeland
3) 76 B Erickson.J. (Cambridge) 4) 22 Brady Lilly (Milton)
5) 27 Jay Kalbus (Watertown) 6) 7 James Helmer (Oconomowoc)
Iron Man Finish
1) 42 Tom Reents (Janesville) 2) 39 Ken Scott (Rio)
3) 22 Brady Lilly (Milton) 4) 26 Scott Riedner (Waunakee)
5) 41 Dick Reents (Portage) 6) 6 Chris Ehrhart (Deerfield)
Fast Qualifier: 31 David Oswald (Cottage Grove) : 15.087 seconds
Fast Dash: 42 Tom Reents (Janesville)
LastChance: 27 Jay Kalbus, 82 Mike Acheson, 67 Russell Nichelson, 45 Nick Balis
Heats: Qual1) 82 Mike Acheson, qual2) 39 Ken Scott, qual3) 27 Jay Kalbus
Hobby Stock Division Feature Finish
1) 27 Jim Tate Jr. (Watertown) 2) 88 Roger Stephenson (Cambridge)
3) 92 Kyle Stark (Waterloo) 4) 96 Alan Dorn (Waterlou)
5) 52 Peter Elgas (Janesille) 6) 60 Chet Paffel (Newerk Township)
Iron Man Finish
1) 88 Roger Stephenson (Cambridge) 2) 96 Alan Dorn (Waterlou)
3) 60 Chet Paffel (Newerk Township) 4) 42 Bobby Selsing Jr. (Fort Atkins
5) 80 Mike Meyers (Town of Beloit) 6) 92 Kyle Stark (Waterloo)
Fast Qualifier: 92 Kyle Stark (Waterloo) : 16.350 seconds
Fast Dash: 52 Peter Elgas (Janesille)
LastChance: 10 larry Moen, 22 Chester Williams, 55 PJ Johnson, 41 Nick Newton
Heats: Qual1) 10 larry Moen, qual2) 96 Alan Dorn, qual3) 92 Kyle Stark
Bandit Division Feature Finish
1) 35 Gary Stark (Waunakee) 2) 7 Kenny Christenson (Oconomowoc)
3) 10 David Schmidt (Cudahy) 4) 57 Tom Pfeifer (Fort Atkinson)
5) 81 Jeffery Lefave (Fort Atkinson) 6) 4 Stephen Scheel (Lake Mills)
Iron Man Finish
1) 35 Gary Stark (Waunakee) 2) 7 Kyle Watters (Stoughton)
3) 27 Kyle Padfield (Stoughton) 4) 4 Stephen Scheel (Lake Mills)
5) 3 Dennis Johnson Jr (Watertown) 6) 81 Jeffery Lefave (Fort Atkinson)
Fast Qualifier: 7 Kenny Christenson (Oconomowoc) : 14.365 seconds
Fast Dash: 81 Jeffery Lefave (Fort Atkinson)
LastChance: 8 Jody Schmidt E, 9 Sean Matteson, 89 Chad Olds, 5 Peter Shelley
Heats: Qual1) 16 James Bohling, qual2) 35 Gary Stark, qual3) 7 Kyle Watters