By Larry & Jeanne Starr
August 24, 2002; Jefferson, Wis. — Jesse Saunders of New Glarus claimed the first feature victory, of his rookie year, in the UAW Local 95, 50 lap Late Model feature.
Starting from the outside of the front row, Saunders grabbed the early lead, and never looked back, guiding the field all the way to the checkered flag. Mike Beyer was closing fast, late in the race, but Saunders maintained a lead of several car lengths. At the stripe it was Saunders for the win, followed by Beyer, Ron Bishofberger, Dan Chesmore and Doug Hahn.
In International class action Brent Nottestad of Cambridge came from a 10th place start, to score the win, in the 20 lap main event. Scott Uttech claimed the early lead, hanging on for 10 laps before surrendering the point to Steve Drays.
Drays guided the way until lap 17, when a spin on the back stretch brought the final caution. On the restart, Nottestad blazed from 3rd, past Mike Drays and moved under Steve Drays, claiming the lead before the white flag. At the finish it was Nottestad for the win, followed by Steve Drays, Mike Drays, Aaron Rude and Chris Quam.
In Sportsman division action Jody Purdy of Milton claimed his first feature win, in a the 30 lap main event. Starting from pole, Purdy capitalized on the early lead, pulling well ahead of the field by lap 8.
The only caution of the race came, for a 3 car incident in turn 1, closing the gap, behind Purdy, for the restart. Purdy handled the restart, pulling ahead on his way to the checkered flag. At the stripe it was Purdy for the win, followed by Bret Schmidt, Jason Thoma, Dan Schmidt and Trent Erdman.
In Hobby Stock action Eaan Carson claimed his first career feature win, in the 20 lap main event. Starting from the outside of row 2, Carson watched as Jim Tate claimed the early lead. Tate guided the way for 15 laps, ahead of Jesse Ayers, with Carson running 3rd.
The battle for the top spot, led to a spin on the back stretch, sending Tate and Ayers to the rear, for the restart. Finding himself at the point, with 4 laps remaining, Carson held off all challengers, to claim the victory. At they took the checkered flag it was Carson for the win, followed by Jim Williams, Bill Bush, Lincoln Keeser and Chris Matz.
In Bandit action Jefferson’s David Jurczyk claimed top honors in the 20 lap feature. Starting from the outside of row 3, Jurczyk headed toward the front, as Brian Paulson claimed the early lead. Paulson’s lead was cut short, on lap 5, when he erupted into a ball of fire on the back stretch, from an apparent blown engine.
he fire went out, almost as quick as it started, but Paulson was finished for the night. Jurczyk led the restart, guiding the field all the way to the checkers. At the midway point, a new twist was added to bandit racing, as the a caution was thrown, to reverse the field, running the opposite direction for the last half of the race. This seemed to agree with Jurczyk, who finished with nearly a quarter lap advantage. Rounding out the top 5 were Tim Seitz, Bill Reynolds, Brandon Riedner and Allen Petrie.
Next Saturday Jefferson Speedway hosts UPN-57 night at the races, with a full racing program, in all 5 division.
Gates open at 3:00, Qualifying at 5:00 and racing at 7:00 sharp.
Next Sunday night, Sept. 1, is round 3 of the “Tournament of Destruction.” Ask at the track for advance entries, and tickets.
Jefferson Speedway is half way between Cambridge and Jefferson Wisconsin, on highway 18.
Jefferson Speedway – Date: August 24, 2002 – Event: UAW Local 95 – 50
Late Model Feature Finish:
1. 8 Jesse Saunders (New Glarus) (First Win)
2. 75 Mike Beyer (Machesney Park IL)
3. 76 Ron Bishofberger (Ft. Atkinson)
4. 27 Dan Chesmore (Janesville)
5. 99 Doug Hahn (Whitewater)
6. 37 Gene Olson Jr. (Jefferson)
7. 14 Scott Nottestad (Stoughton)
8. 18 Andy Wendt (Watertown)
9. 52 Steve Dobbratz (Rio)
10. 4 Randy Breunig (Columbus)
11. 41 Mike Taylor (Stoughton)
12. 2 Tom Dorn (Ft. Atkinson)
13. 66 Curt Thompson (Ft. Atkinson)
14. 55 Eric Gerlach (Palmyra)
15. 2 Matt Frey (Cambridge)
16. 68 Ken Olson (Ft. Atkinson)
17. 22 Jasper Gronert (Jefferson)
18. 12 Greg Bowers (Waterloo)
27 Dan Chesmore (Janesville): 14.890 seconds
FAST DASH: (Willie Sucholic & Friends): 8 Lap
68 Ken Olson (Ft. Atkinson)
LAST CHANCE: 20 Lap
2 Matt Frey (Cambridge)
22 Jasper Gronert (Jefferson)
66 Curt Thompson (Ft. Atkinson)
1 Greg Bowers (Waterloo)
Heats: 10 lap
1) 6 Ken Piotrowski (Milton)
2) 18 Andy Wendt (Watertown)
3) 11 Beau Sanden (Janesville)
1. 25 Brent Nottestad (Cambridge)
2. 84 Steve Drays (Milton)
3. 48 Mike Drays (Milton)
4. 9 Aaron Rude (Cambridge)
5. 4 Chris Quam (Stoughton)
6. 74 Scott Uttech (Watertown)
25 Brent Nottestad (Cambridge): 15.974 seconds
LAST CHANCE: 20 Lap
16 Dennis Clapp (Madison)
27 Lucas Vinje (Edgerton)
11 Mike Dixon (Omro)
28 Mike Cusick (Edgerton),
Heats: 10 lap
1) 0 Scott Dolphin (Marshall)
2) 84 Steve Drays (Milton)
1. 106 Jody Purdy (Milton) (First Win)
2. 20 Bret Schmidt (Watertown)
3. 95 Jason Thoma (Jefferson)
4. 19 Dan Schmidt (Watertown)
5. 11 Trent Erdman (Ft. Atkinson)
6. 2 Randy Padfield (Stoughton)
26 Scott “Chico” Riedner (Waunakee): 15.845 seconds
CONSI: 10 Lap
36 R.C. Coppernoll (Marshall), 55 Carey Hensel (Stoughton)
LAST CHANCE: 15 Lap
17 Noel Ramge (Hellenville)
81 Jeramy Hayton (Lake Geneva)
32 Tony Koepke (Ft. Atkinson)
23 Chris Koepke (Ft. Atkinson)
Heats: 10 lap:
1) 55 Carey Hensel (Stoughton)
2) 14 Kyle Taylor (Stoughton)
3) 2 Randy Padfield (Stoughton)
4) 27 Jay Kalbus (Oconomowoc)
Hobby Stock Feature:
1. 2 Eaan Carson (Ft. Atkinson) (First Win)
2. J10 Jim Williams (Milton)
3. 17 Bill Bush (Jefferson)
4. 99 Lincoln Keeser (Milton)
5. 72 Chris Matz (Watertown)
6. 55 Terry Wangsness (Delavan)
55 Terry Wangsness (Delavan): 16.913 seconds
LAST CHANCE: 12 Lap
88 Roger Stephenson (Cambridge)
8 Rick Schoonover (Janesville)
8 Chris Purdy (Milton)
67 Russ Nicholson (Stoughton)
Heats: 8 lap
1) 71 Jason Deppe (Waterloo)
2) 88 Roger Stephenson (Cambridge)
3) 72 Chris Matz (Watertown)
1. 18 David Jurczyk (Jefferson)
2. 57 Tim Seitz (Edgerton)
3. 38 Bill Reynolds (Watertown)
4. 4D Brandon Riedner (Waunakee)
5. 12 Alan Petrie (Sun Prairie)
6. 5 Peter Shelley (Edgerton)
38 Bill Reynolds (Watertown): 15.512 seconds
LAST CHANCE: 12 Lap
42 Bill Sweeney (Janesville)
51 Mark Sweitzer (Jefferson)
39 Jim Clark (Watertown)
78 Mike Spors (Janesville)
75 Paula Seitz (Edgerton)
1 Tade Swerig (Stoughton)
Heats: 8 lap
1) 51 Mark Sweitzer (Jefferson)
2) 19 Rick Boyce (Marshall)