By Larry Starr
May 14, 2005; Jefferson, Wis. – Dylan Schuyler of Dousman led the “B&M Electric 50” Late Model Feature flag to flag, notching his first feature win of the 2005 season. Starting from the pole, Schuyler took the lead at the green flag and never looked back, guiding the field to the checkered flag.
Schuyler opened a strong lead, in the early going, but saw that evaporate, on lap 20, when 3 cars tangled in turn 2, bringing the first, of 4, cautions. On the restart Jason Erickson made an unsuccessful bid for the top spot. Schuyler was up to the challenge, holding Erickson to 2nd. At the stripe it was Schuyler for the win, followed by Erickson, Tim Noble, John Ovadal and Kyle Jarlsberg.
In Sportsman division action, defending track champion, Mark DePorter of Fort Atkinson scored a win, from the pole, marking his first feature win of 2005. DePorter grabbed the top spot at the green flag, guiding the field for 30, caution free, laps, to score the win. Rounding out the top 5 were Scott “Chico” Riedner, Dave Oswald, Trent Erdman and Jason Thoma.
In Hobby Stock action Jim Robinson of Orfordville claimed top honors in the 20 lap main event. Starting 9th in the field, Robinson headed toward the front as William Stephenson jumped to the early lead. Stephenson held the point for 3 laps before being overtaken by Larry Moen. Caution came, on lap 4, for a pair of cars that hit the back stretch wall. Moen led the restart with Robinson up to the 2nd spot. Moen held off Robinson, for 5 laps, before losing the point, on lap 9. At the finish it was Robinson for the win followed by Moen, Bryon Grassl, Stephenson and Pete Elgas.
In International division action, Chris Nelson of Cottage Grove claimed his second feature victory, in as many weeks. Starting 5th, Nelson watched Scotty Hoeft claim the early lead. Hoeft surrendered the point to Mark English, on the 6th circuit with Nelson close behind, for the 2nd spot. Nelson moved to the inside of English on lap 7, battling side by side for 4 laps before claiming the lead on lap 12. As they flew past the checkered flag it was Nelson for the win, followed by English, Hoeft, Chris Chenoweth and Joe Cross.
In the Bandit class, Bobby Selsing Jr. of Fort Atkinson claimed top honors in the, 18 lap, main event. Starting 15th, Selsing started his drive to the front as Marc Balis drove to the early lead. Selsing made it to the 3rd spot by lap 3, closing in on the leaders. On lap 5, Selsing motored past Balis, for the lead, guiding the field from there to the checkers. At the finish it was Selsing for the win, followed by Jody Krueger, Brandon Riedner, Rory Padfield and Brian Paulson.
Next week Jefferson Speedway hosts the Wisconsin Challenge Series “Super” Late Models, for the “Star Packaging 100.” On tap is a 100 lap Super Late Model feature, along with a full program of “Sportsman,” “International”, “Hobby Stock” and “Bandit” racing. This program was rescheduled from April 23.
Pit Gate opens at noon, practice starts at 1:00PM, Qualifying starts at 4:00PM with the first green flat at 7:00PM. Adult admission is $12.00.
Jefferson Speedway is half way between Jefferson and Cambridge Wisconsin, on highway 18.
Jefferson Speedway Race Summary – 05/14/2005 B&M Electric 50
Late Model Division Feature Finish
1) 33 Dylan Schuyler 2) 94 Jason Erickson
3) 71 Tim Noble (Janesville) 4) 71 John Ovadal
5) 87 Kyle Jarlsberg (Cambridge) 6) 4 Chris Quam (Stoughton)
7) 44 Roger Behlke 8) 19 Chad Reimer
9) 68 Ken Olson (Ft. Atkinson) 10) 52 Steve Dobbratz (Rio)
11) 82 Chad Stevens (Orfordville) 12) 2 Matt Frey
13) 16 Luke Westenberg (Watertown) 14) 22 Jasper Gronert (Ft. Atkinson)
15) 20 Bret Schmidt (Watertown) 16) 12 Allen Petrie Jr (Sun Prairie)
17) 11 Tim Petrie (Whitewater) 18) 71 Jason Deppe (Waterloo)
19) 41 Mike Taylor (Stoughton) 20) 6 Ken Piotrowski (Janesville)
21) 99 Doug Hahn (Whitewater)
Fast Qualifier: 99 Doug Hahn (Whitewater) : 14.111 seconds
Heats: Dash) 19 Chad Reimer, Qual1) 33 Dylan Schuyler, Qual2) 52 Steve Dobbratz
International Division Feature Finish
1) 73 Chris Nelson (Cottage Grove) 2) 57 Mark English
3) 00 Scotty Hoeft (Watertown) 4) 97 Chris Chenoweth (Watertown)
5) 67 Joe Cross (Sun Prairie) 6) 2 Brandon Kozak (Whitewater)
Fast Qualifier: 73 Chris Nelson (Cottage Grove) : 16.732 seconds
Heats: Dash) 73 Chris Nelson, Qual1) 00 Scotty Hoeft
Sportsman Division Feature Finish
1) 28 Mark DePorter (Fort Atkinson) 2) 26 Scott Riedner (Waunakee)
3) 31 David Oswald (Cottage Grove) 4) 11 Trent Erdman (Fort Atkinson)
5) 42 Jason Thoma 6) 4 Luke Padfield (Jefferson)
Fast Qualifier: 42 Jason Thoma : 15.296 seconds
Heats: Dash) 11 Trent Erdman, Qual1) 87 Ed Jackson, qual2) 28 Mark DePorter
Hobby Stock Division Feature Finish
1) 33 Jim Robinson (Orfordville) 2) 10 Larry Moen (Madison)
3) 38 Bryon Grassl (Janesville) 4) 88 William Stephenson (Cambridge)
5) 52 Pete Elgas (Janesville) 6) 7 Scott Carson
Fast Qualifier: 99 Johnny Robinson (Beloit) : 16.815 seconds
Last Chance: 80 Mike Meyers, 99 Lincoln Keeser, 56 Randy Strasburg,
14 Andy Raley
Heats: Dash) 2 Eaan Carson, Qual1) 19 Dennis Schmidt, qual2) 88 William Stephenson
Bandit Division Feature Finish
1) 42 Bobby Selsing Jr (Fort Atkinso 2) Z28 Jody Krueger (Edgerton)
3) 4D Brandon Riedner (Waunakee) 4) 3 Rory Padfield (Stoughton)
5) 41 Brian Paulson (Edgerton) 6) 92 Marc W. Balis (Edgerton)
Fast Qualifier: 41 Brian Paulson (Edgerton) : 14.902 seconds
Consi: 5 Peter Shelley, 2 David Krull
Last Chance: 9 Kevin Weaver, 92 Kyle Stark, 6 Zak Czeszynski, 21 Rodney Mundt
Heats: Dash) 4D Brandon Riedner, Qual1) 92 Marc W. Balis, qual2) 22 Chris Hart