By Larry & Jeanne Starr
September 4, 2004; Jefferson, Wis. – Chad “Squirt” Stevens of Orfordville ended his dry spell, of the 2004 season, with a victory in the “WMAD Night at the Races” Late Model feature.
Starting 10th, Stevens headed toward the front, as Chris Quam pulled to the early lead. Quam surrendered the point to Roger Behlke, on lap 3, just before crash brought out the only caution of the race. On the restart it was Behlke at the point with Stevens up to 4th. Stevens motored past Scott Nottestad, for 3rd, on lap 11, closing with Quam.
Pulling to the inside on lap 16, Stevens battled Quam for 3 laps before claiming the 2nd spot. Catching Behlke on lap 26, Stevens made the winning pass on lap 27. At the stripe it was Stevens for the win, followed by Nottestad, Dan Chesmore, Behlke and Quam.
In International Action, Steve Allman of Oconomowoc claimed top honors in the 20 lap Main Event. Starting outside row 5 Allman watched as Brian Paulson grabbed the early lead. Scotty Hoeft overtook Paulson on lap 4, with Allman claiming 2nd by lap 5. Hoeft received the black flag, on lap 14, for refusing to heed instructions to “Pick a Lane,” placing Allman at the point. At the stripe it was Allman for the win, followed by Chris Drays, Alan Petrie, Tim Petrie and Tim Seitz.
In Sportsman action Carey Hensel of Stoughton piloted his car to Victory lane, in the 30 lap feature. Starting from the pole, Hensel watched Kyle Padfield power to the early lead. Following a 5 lap battle, Hensel relieved Padfield at the point, guiding the field from there to the checkers. Dave Oswald pulled into the second spot, as Carey assumed the point, looking for an opening, but was never able to find his way past. At the stripe it was Carey followed by Oswald, Padfield, Curt Thompson and Josh Courtney.
Dennis Schmidt of Johson Creek claimed top honors in the Hobby Stock main. Starting 6th, Schmidt spent 13 laps running down the early leader, Russ Nicholson. Closing with Nicholson, on lap 13, Schmidt moved to the inside. The pair raced side-by-side for 5 laps, before Schmidt pulled ahead on lap 18. As they flew past the checkered flag it was Schmidt for the win followed by Eaan Carson, Nicholson, Pete Elgas and Ken Au.
In Bandit action Bill Sweeney of Janesville notched another win, in the 18 lap main event. Starting 13th, Sweeney motored toward the front, as Zak Czeszynski claimed the early lead. Czeszynski surrendered the point to Tom Bleeker on lap 6. Bleeker led the way to the white flag, succumbing to Sweeney’s Charge on the final lap. At the checkers it was Sweeney followed by Bleeker, Jody Krueger, bobby Selsing and Ryan Oldenhoff.
Next week the battle for the Season Point championships ends, with the “Havill-Spoerl Season Championships,” presenting a 75 lap Late Model feature, and extended features in all divisions. Champions will be crowned, in all 5 divisions.
Gates open at 2:00PM, qualifying begins at 4:30PM with racing at 7:00PM sharp.
Jefferson Speedway is half way between Cambridge and Jefferson Wisconsin, on Highway 18.
Jefferson Speedway – Date: September 4, 2004 – Event: WMAD Night at The Races
Late Model Feature Finish: Laps: 35
1. 82 Chad “Squirt” Stevens (Orfordville) 10. 94 Jason Erickson (Cambridge)
2. 14 Scott Nottestad (Stoughton) 11. 76 Ron Bishofberger (Ft. Atkinson)
3. 27 Dan Chesmore (Janesville) 12. 52 Steve Dobbratz (Rio)
4. 44 Roger Behlke (Jefferson) 13. 4 Jason Thoma (Jefferson)
5. 4 Chris Quam (Stoughton) 14. 33 Dylan Schuyler (Dousman)
6. 99 Doug Hahn (Whitewater) 15. 87 Kyle Jarlsberg (Cambridge)
7. 11 Beau Sanden (Janesville) 16. 41 Mike Taylor (Stoughton)
8. 71 Tim Noble (Janesville) 17. 6 Ken Piotrowski (Janesville)
9. 71 John Ovadal Jr. (Watertown) 18. 19 Chad Reimer (Oconomowoc)
FAST QUALIFIER : 27 Dan Chesmore (Janesville): 14.665 seconds
FAST DASH: 8 Lap : 82 Chad “Squirt” Stevens (Orfordville)
Iron Man: 15 lap : 4 Chris Quam (Stoughton)
LAST CHANCE: 20 Lap : 87 Kyle Jarlsberg, 76 Ron Bishofberger , 41 Mike Taylor, 6 Ken Piotrowski
Heats: 10 lap: 1) 41 Mike Taylor (Stoughton) 2) 76 Ron Bishofberger (Ft. Atkinson) 3) 16 Luke Westenberg (Watertown)
International Feature: Laps: 20
1. 79 Steve Allman (Oconomowoc) 4. 11 Tim Petrie (Whitewater)
2. 29 Chris Drays (Milton) 5. 57 Tim Seitz (Edgerton)
3. 12 Alan Petrie (Sun Prairie) 6. 99 Keryn Hopwood (Madison)
FAST QUALIFIER : 79 Steve Allman (Oconomowoc): 16.737 seconds
Iron Man: 5 Lap : 11 Tim Petrie (Whitewater)
Heats: 10 lap: 1) 00 Scotty Hoeft (Watertown) 2) 11 Tim Petrie (Whitewater)
Sportsman Feature: Laps: 30
1. 55 Carey Hensel (Stoughton) 4. 3 Curt Thompson (Ft. Atkinson)
2. 31 Dave Oswald (Cottage Grove) 5. 21 Josh Courtney (Janesville)
3. 2 Kyle Padfield (Edgerton) 6. 4D Brandon Riedner (Waunakee)
FAST QUALIFIER : 11 Trent Erdman (Ft. Atkinson): 15.390 seconds
Iron Man: 15 Lap : 5 Cliff Rucks (Cottage Grove)
LAST CHANCE: 15 Lap : 14 Kyle Taylor, 94 Craig Henning, 38 Brent Gergen, 57 Mark English
Heats: 8 lap: 1) 57 Mark English (Janesville) 2) 94 Craig Henning (Hellenville) 3) 31 Dave Oswald (Cottage Grove)
Hobby Stock Feature: Laps: 20
1. 19 Dennis Schmidt (Johnson Creek) 4. 52 Pete Elgas (Janesville)
2. 2 Eaan Carson (Ft. Atkinson) 5. 31 Ken Au (Jefferson)
3. 67 Russ Nicholson (Stoughton) 6. 27 Jim Tate Jr. (Watertown)
FAST QUALIFIER : 2 Eaan Carson (Ft. Atkinson): 16.622 seconds
Iron Man: 15 Lap : 2 Eaan Carson (Ft. Atkinson)
LAST CHANCE: 12 Lap : 40 Leroy Gronert, 80 Mike Meyers, 50 Jim Schmidt, 22 Boyd Eichelkraut
Heats: 10 lap: 1) 9 Bill Emmons (Jefferson) 2) 94 Bret Carson (Johnson Creek) 3) 99 Lincoln Keeser (Whitewater)
Bandit Feature: Laps: 18
1. 42 Bill Sweeney (Janesville) 4. 42 Bobby Selsing (Ft. Atkinson)
2. 98 Tom Bleeker (Watertown) 5. 29 Ryan Oldenhoff (Ft. Atkinson)
3. Z/28 Jody Krueger (Edgerton) 6. X Troy Yohn (Waterloo)
FAST QUALIFIER : 42 Bill Sweeney (Janesville): 14.780 seconds
Iron Man: 8 Lap : X Troy Yohn (Waterloo)
CONSI: 8 Lap : 90 Kyle Smith, 11 Andy Bauler
LAST CHANCE: 12 Lap : 85 Matt Lorenz, 27 James Bell, 17 Shaun Scheel, 29 Gary Stark
Heats: 8 lap: 1) 75 Sara Hoppe (Milwaukee) 2) 92 Kyle Stark (Waterloo) 3) 24 Tyler White (Ft. Atkinson) 4) 3 Rory Padfield (Stoughton)